Philip - Wellington, Florida

Music Is My Life

I believe that music is not just sounds to ones ear, but for some it’s a way to get through life.

I was born in New York on July 27th, 1991. My plan to become a pianist was chosen for me before I was even born. My mother and father made this decision. When I was two years old my parents bought my first up-right Yamaha piano. I would bang away on the keys not knowing what I was doing and since then it has always been a part of my life. When I turned five, my parents decided I was ready for my first piano lesson and they enrolled me in the Music Institute of Long Island and I was taught by Svetlana Gorohkvic. For the next four years my piano skills were getting better and better.

In August of 2000, my parents decided to move to Wellington, Florida where I now currently live. At the time I was 9 years old and I needed a new piano teacher. So one day my mother and I went to Lynn University’s Harrid Conservatory (currently it is called the Lynn University Conservatory of Music) and I auditioned for Dr. Roberta Rust who has never taught young children my age before and she rarely takes private students. I auditioned with a lengthy program consisting of 10 pieces. I remember that day to this very day, hearing Dr. Rust say “I will take him as my private student.” My face lit up with joy as I heard those words come out of her.

Music got me through life so far. If it wasn’t for music then I wouldn’t have attended the schools I have, which were Bak Middle School of the Arts and the School that I currently attend, Alexander W. Dreyfoos, Jr. School of the Arts. The piano has fulfilled my greatest dream so far which was to perform at the Raymond F. Kravis Center for the Performing Arts. When I was 13 years old I auditioned for Christopher O’Reily’s “From the Top.” When I heard his show for the first time on NPR it was a goal of mine to be able to play on it. Two months after I sent my audition tape I got a call from Tom Vignieri, the music producer of “From the Top,” telling me that they loved my audition tape and that they wanted me to be on the show and that the show was going to be at the Kravis Center. My Dream was fulfilled.

Music has gotten me through life by giving me something to do. Music has always encouraged me to do my best and to never forget who I am. I’m not a kid anymore, I’m a musician, and I get through life because of the one thing I love, music.