Christine - Royal Palm Beach, Florida

I believe that no one should waste any minute of their life and just live for the moment.

For years now I have wasted so much time doing absolutely nothing. I would come home, watch television, or just stay in my room working alone. On a Saturday night, while my friends were out at the mall, you would find me at home, doing nothing, just too lazy for anything. Well now at 17 years old, I’ve realized that I have wasted too much time. I have learned that life is too short to do nothing with it and we should all take advantage of it.

I just moved to Florida from Boston, Massachusetts. After living there for eight years, I found it very hard to cope with the change. I love Boston, and I miss my family and friends. For the first few months that I was in Florida, I didn’t do anything. I sat at home thinking of my past, wishing I were there instead of here. I noticed that living there wasn’t much different than what I was doing here and I was just wasting my time thinking about it. While in Boston, sure I had friends, but I rarely went out and found myself bored most of the time. I was also distant from family, almost embarrassed to go out with them thinking that if other people saw us together they’d think I was “uncool.” So I realized that I really didn’t do anything and lived a very unsocial life! I started appreciating the move and looked at the positive things that came with it instead of only the negatives. This was a chance for me to change, stop wasting my life and do things with it, a chance to live and restart!

As soon as school started, I tried this new life of mine. Being a very shy person, I had to step out of my comfort zone and reach out to people, try to approach them instead of have them approach me. It started working but took a while, telling myself to do this was a lot easier than actually doing it. On top of that, I also decided that I would spend more time with my family. I realized that this is going to be my last year with them and I should spend as much time with them now as I can. We go to the beach every weekend and my mom and I go shopping together.

Because of this move, I discovered myself and realized that I lived a boring life. I learned that this had to change. Life is too short to waste it alone, doing nothing. Get out there, meet new people, experience new things, live life as if it’s going to end tomorrow, enjoying every second of it!