Lindy - Abilene, Texas

I believe in spontaneity. From last minute road trips to running through a public fountain, spontaneity adds zest to what could easily become a rather routine life. I like the idea of loosing myself to harmless impulses, it allows every day to be an adventure.

One particular Saturday, as I was perusing a garage sale, I came upon an inflatable raft. For some reason I had a strong urge to purchase this watercraft. Puzzled yet strangely pleased with my buy, I stuffed the raft in my trunk with ideas and fanciful plans brewing, but I soon forgot about my impulsive buy due to school, church, and other responsibilities.

After some time these responsibilities can easily build up causing stress. During one of these particularly harrying times, I decided to visit a local park. When I arrived at the park, I was confronted with an inviting, shimmering pond. Without hesitation, I quickly inflated the raft and set sail. Although I could only spend an hour on the pond, it was exactly what I needed.

This afternoon on the pond gave me variety in what had become a life of dull routine and little passion. This hour, floating on an inflatable raft in the middle of a man-made pond, was a turning point for me. I realized that the only way routine wouldn’t take my passion away, was to let myself give into spontaneity. Not that this spontaneity will be an excuse to shirk my duties, but that it will provide a brief and exhilarating break from humdrum routine.

These episodes of rash action usually provide not only a good story, but a valuable growing experience. One evening I invited this girl, whom I had just met and could hardly carry on a conversation with, to go rafting with me. My random invitation and her unexpected “Yes” were both acts of complete spontaneity which have turned into one of my closest friendships.

I believe that giving into spontaneous impulses can actually be giving into the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Although this isn’t true for all situations, I just can’t help but think that only through the urging of the Holy Spirit did I invite a girl, who showed no signs of wanting to even look my direction, to go rafting with me.

I take my belief in spontaneity very seriously. I try to let myself give into innocent impulses because it could be the urging of the Holy Spirit. Also I have come to find that allowing myself to get carried away by spontaneity is actually a necessity for me. It allows me to relax and restores my passion for life. Besides that, being spontaneous is just plain fun. I believe that it is spontaneity which gives me such an excited and positive outlook on life, no matter the current circumstances, because I know they could change in a matter of moments.