Michael - Jupiter, Florida

This I Believe…

Pause to think before continuing to see what happens.

Life is all about having fun and living life to the fullest. Usually once in each and every life things don’t go the way it should, like a hero losing to a villain it is not how things were supposed to go.

Life is about having fun, for most people this means being with your friends and doing things that interest you. On Sunday February 20,1999 when I was in third grade this is what I would do. My friend Alex, my brother Scott, and I all went on a zip-line one of our other neighbors had. I went down it and then did what many little kids do, copy the older kids. Without pausing to think I just continued to see what happens, Alex pushed me back up to the top and on the way back down I lost my grip and fell eight feet into the roots of a tree.

Usually once in everybody’s life things go wrong, this was the time in my life. By falling into the roots of a tree I cracked my head open and developed a Subdural Hematoma which is a collection of blood on the surface of the brain also I fractured my skull. I was unconscious, rushed to the hospital, asking for my mom and not knowing who she is. The doctor thought I was fine but I wasn’t, my family and I left the hospital at eleven that night, I threw up four times over the next ten hours. Still not remembering much I was getting ready for school the next day when the doctor called they said to come in right away. On the way to the hospital I threw up again. The doctor told my parents I had a concussion, a serious concussion. I would lose all my memory temporarily, I had to stay at the hospital for four nights to make sure everything is alright. I was out of school for two weeks.

Life is all about having fun and living life to the fullest. Even tough the doctor said I was fine he did not know how I would be today. From the concussion I developed Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) and still have not regained all my memory. I have thought about what my life, my family, and my personality would have been like if I just would have paused to think before continuing to see what happens.