Karina - Tampa, Florida

Sick Isn’t So Bad

Coughing uncontrollably, eyes watering, stomach pains, and a fever of one hundred two are not feelings one generally associates with a positive type of thinking, but for me, I do. I believe that sick isn’t so bad. By saying that, I mean that there nearly always tends to be a reason for one to be sick.

Sick can mean a variety of things; the flu, a cold, allergies like whoa, or even depression. To me, sickness means a time of rest, a time to sit and think of the world around you, and a time to reflect. Reflections on the world, even if it means sitting down on your favorite couch and watching old episodes of Ben & Jerry cartoons reflecting on your childhood, are very healthful activities, even when “sick.”

I believe that God chooses to make you stop from all of the daily routines and chaos of everyday life. People get way too caught up and don’t realize it until they are truly forced to lie down and rest. Sickness is a way for our bodies to rejuvenate and get ready for the next obstacle that is thrown in our direction.

I used to think I was superwomen who could handle anything in this world, partying every night, staying up late and doing homework, the ultimate procrastinator, jack of all trades. I was staying up late every night and waking up at the crack of dawn every morning, until it hit me. The stomach pains were unbearable and persistent and the first thought that entered my mind was “, I don’t have time to be sick right now. I have so much to do. I don’t have time to be sick, I don’t have time to miss school, and I don’t have time to miss work.” I was so busy with my day to day life, God finally took the initiative to just say “, Hey, stop that, lie down and rest, you are doing too much.”

I attempted to continue what I was doing, and as I did, I progressively continued to feel worse and worse, but little ol’ Karina didn’t think anything of it. I’ve dealt with stomach pain before, what’s different now? It’ll fix itself. Couple weeks passed and it didn’t start feeling any better at all. I started thinking that something was just plain wrong with me. I proceeded to become acquainted with doctor office after doctor office, all of which were trying to pin point the issue at hand. This process took weeks and eventually I was rushed to the hospital. After dozens upon dozens of tests were preformed on my weak body, I was told I had Crone’s disease, a potentially fatal that affects the lining in your stomach, particularly when left untreated for such a long length of time.

This whole situation is was really makes a person re-evaluate their priorities in life. Millions of fragments of thought ran through my head: Is it really necessary to be involved with everything I am? Do I need to work so much? Is my health so important that I can not rest and take a couple days off from school? The stress and chaos from life really threatened my life.

I am healed now for the most part, but it still makes me think every time I get those stomach pains, that coughing, fever and all. Sick is not something that has to be a negative part of life. It gives one a time to rest and reflect, and really ponder on the responsibilities and priorities that are necessary to you. No matter how dreadful, down, cold and shaky you might feel, sick isn’t so bad.