Todd - Western Springs, Illinois

Todd Shinall

Fear

IPC English

27 September 2006

I believe in desire and devotion. It takes much time and effort to be devoted to something, and it takes desire to have devotion. The want to fulfill something is what propels people through their day and gives them devotion. Devotion is what gives a person the urge to run a little faster, hit a littler harder, or do a little better and to go beyond all expectations. The modern day world would not be whole if people did not strive to achieve their goals. I have found that dedicating oneself to something gives strength and courage to complete future tasks. I have learned this over the years in which I have dedicated myself to soccer. To be on the best soccer team, I practiced for more than an hour every day and every week. If more people could be devoted to their desires, then there would be fewer flaws within society and the entire community would be more productive. To get what I want out of this world, I have devoted myself to the things that will give me success later in my life. I know there is no such thing as perfection, but I do know there is such thing as success. However success comes at a price in which many are not willing to pay. Many people have lost their desires due to tragedies or conflicts, but I have found that the most devoted people are those who strive towards their goals through all obstacles and losses. I believe that obstacles are what strengthens a person’s character and personality, therefore the more conflicts there are, the stronger a person comes out of it. The many heroes and stars of modern day got to where they are not by giving up on their goals but through devotion and hard work, which is why we idolize them. Just because the pathway to a goal looks long and treacherous does not make it unobtainable or impossible, but mainly time consuming. Therefore it takes more dedication and desire than imaginable, but the feeling of accomplishment and success is worth the sacrifice. Some people spend their entire lives obtaining a goal they set as a child, but the harder it is to reach a goal, the better you feel once you have achieved it. Success can only be achieved if you have the desire and the devotion to reach it.