Peter - Western Springs, Illinois

In the fall of 2003, I was a small tiny seventh grader. I could barely even get a basketball three point shot up to the rim. I was that weak. That fall before basketball tryouts I said to myself, Peter you have to start working hard at your basketball skills if you wanted to make your school basketball team this year. So I decided I was going to dedicated myself to practicing enough basketball to make the team that winter.

That fall, I practiced five out of seven days a week. It was tough to make myself get out on the court everyday, but I knew what I had to do in order to get better. I performed a variety of different exercises and workouts to improve my shooting skills, ball handling, and my defense. I put my body to the test that fall and it was worth the pain I went through, as I made the seventh grade team that year. Even thou I did not start every game of the season. I did get much more quality playing time than I expect and was a contributing score coming off of the bench. I was proud of the way I stuck through with all my practicing plans that fall and the way I played throughout the entire season.

Since that fall of 2003, I still have been playing basketball nonstop. I kept improving all my skills, and I have got even more playing team on my eighth grade school basketball team and Lyons Township Freshman basketball team. I believe in dedication. If you dedicate yourself to your own goals you will accomplish them. All it takes to accomplish your goal is a little hard work and mental toughness. The reward in the end is worth the fight to get there.