John - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in the power of faith. Throughout humanity’s existence, too many people have let go of their hopes and dreams, and lost their way to the darkness of conformity. The most important thing we can do is to believe and have faith in our dreams, for nothing good can come about without hard work. I know this, because I know what it is like to work towards something and making the effort to keep on believing.

I used to be terrible at cross-country, and I would finish almost last in every race. However, in my sophomore year of high school, I began to seriously have faith in my hopes of becoming better, and I took steps to make sure I would achieve that goal. I began training, in hopes of making my body fit enough to be able to run long distances more efficiently. However, in this case, the physical aspect of running became less and less the sole factor and more and more the mental aspect became important. To be able to run any long distance, one must have a great deal of mental discipline to continue through the many miles. During a recent race, I was shooting for my year time goal, which was 20 minutes for 3 miles. Even when I was completely exhausted, I still mentally refused to give up. I am now the proud owner of a 19:55 time for one of the hardest courses that the Lyons cross-country team attends.

If someone such as me can easily reach their goal through the faithfulness of their mind, then there is definitely some truth to the belief in oneself. If one can concentrate, practice, and have a positive outlook on the challenge that is the next to come up, then they can easily prepare themselves. To believe in a cause, dream, goal, or any other idea is to put your faith into it, and faith can be an extremely powerful force. Faith in an idea has always been the basis for most of the major changes in the world, doing such things as toppling empires, forming new countries, reforming religions, and even discovering new lands. If anyone could ever doubt the power of faith, one would only lead look to the past, and history would offer an immediate and undeniable rebuttal. From a simple little goal of a teenager to the destruction of a 200 year old empire, faith is always a powerful force present in every moment of our lives.