Sam - La Grange, Illinois

Perseverance

I believe in perseverance, and the paternity of people to hold out in their beliefs. This world today is slowly becoming dependent and retaining less of a “do it yourself” attitude. If someone wants something done, they will look to the help of someone else. I think that people should hold out on depending and stay with what they can do. When I went to Mississippi, I saw what one can have and what true devastation can do to someone’s life. But when you lose more than you can even imagine to lose, one must persevere. In life if you… don’t hold on to what you love you might let go without realizing it. But once it’s gone, only then do you appreciate what you had. I saw people who had more than I did, become reduced to less than what I had. And after that sort of experience, I know that what I have and hold dear to me, I should hold on to.

If anything happens, I should persevere. In this world when someone dies or if one someone loses something dear to them, unless they hold on throughout and be strong they will not have learned anything… if it is a mistake or if it is a lesson, they will not have gained anything either. I want society today to see that it is their own right to hold on to what they believe in and persevere. Their right to stick with it and see their dreams come true, because if they don’t, then they will never be able to see what the true value of life is. Life is about taking risks and, persevering is one of them.

Life is about what you can and can not afford to do. If something presents itself as a problem then you must do your best to avoid it. But if you see something that you know you want and are willing to go the ends of the earth to get it, then hold on and don’t ever let go. This is a risk of course but you never see the success that you could have had if you didn’t take that risk in the first place to see what happened. Life is about taking going and taking chances and when you have nothing left to gamble, persevere.