Una - Countryside, Illinois

Friends are Forever

I believe in friendship. I believe that friends are a necessity in life, even when at times they may stab you in the back and do things that hurt you and even forget that they mean everything to you.

I have had my best friend since kindergarten, and we do everything together. Well, we used to do everything together, but then, a little thing called high school happened. I knew that things wouldn’t be the same when high school would start, I knew that, but I didn’t know that my friend, my best friend, would change so much that at times I cant even believe that it’s the same person. The same person that had sleepovers with me and went to Chuck E. Cheeses with me when we were still in elementary and middle school. We promised each other that we would be friends forever no matter what, and now I’m having doubts in the honesty of her words. When high school started, everything was going great. We both were meeting new people and making new friends. We still went everywhere together and everything was good. But then a few months into the school year, she met a guy. I knew that from this point on that things would be different between us, I had a feeling. She stopped calling and started making up excuses every time I called and asked to hang out. I felt as if I was losing my best friend. And this was the worst feeling I have ever experienced in my whole life.

She started ditching me to hang out with her new boyfriend practically every single day. I began to notice that she was avoiding me more and more. I had always thought that friends came first, that they were always at the top, no matter who came into their lives. Obviously, my friend did not agree. So, I just accepted the fact that she found someone new to be there for her and to keep her company whenever she was bored. I just left it as it was and I did absolutely nothing to try and change things, which was the biggest mistake I have ever made. Because I soon realized that the longer I waited and let it go, the farther and farther we would drift apart. Now, what I was afraid of most, was happening right before my eyes, and I didn’t even realize it, until it was getting too late. I was slowly losing my best friend. I knew I had to do something about this so, I talked it over with her, and told her exactly how I felt about the whole situation. Now, everything is slowly coming back to normal and she is making time for me and for her boyfriend.

I had learned a very valuable lesson that day. There will be many changes occurring in my life non-stop and sometimes there may be good changes and at other times, not so much. But I have to learn to adapt to the new things that come into my life and realize that not everything is going to turn out the way I would like it to. As for my best friend, I keep wishing, to this day, that she will realize for herself, that the guys, they come and they go, but friends, they are forever.