Stephanie - San Mateo, California

I believe that the world should be filled with kindness, no matter how big or small it is. I was doing some chores for my mom around the house. We made a bargain for five dollars. But my mom was busy too, making paychecks, and making phone calls to our electricity company. I saw her get up a few times to take some headache pills. I knew best not to bother her when she has a headache. When I finished my chores, I made lunch for my mom and I. When she walked into the dining room, her hair was messed up, and she was rubbing her head. I told her I finished my chores and she thanked me with a dollar. She thanked me with a dollar! A dollar? This wasn’t the deal. I was going to tell my mom that she was supposed to give me five dollars, but I stopped. I told myself, “Hey, at least she gave me some money. It’s better than nothing.” I thanked my mom for the dollar.

This experience taught me to accept all things in life whether given to you politely or just thrown at you. It doesn’t matter if someone threw something in your face, unwillingly giving it away. It might hurt, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that that someone remembered to actually give it to you because you earned it. If I just politely said thank you to that person, maybe they’ll think I am really nice, and they would hire me more often. But if I shook my fist at them, or said a very sarcastic thank you, they would get really mean, and then, I would make an enemy.

I also learned that if I wanted someone to be kind to me, I should be nice to someone first. For example, I wanted to earn some money doing some stuff, so I approached my mom and told her that I wanted to earn some money. So she told me that I could help her by doing some chores around the house. I agreed because I saw on her desk, a huge pile of unfinished paperwork.

Without kindness in the world, it’s just like seeing two cheetahs clawing at each other in the rainforest, without mercy. That must make you feel hurt inside, seeing two beautiful animals fighting. Well, that’s how I feel whenever I go on the internet, and I see news articles saying that one more soldier has died in war. I feel my heart being torn out by sadness.

I think that if I want kindness, I should start doing it first. Like doing a bake sale or a lemonade stand to help the helpless. That is one step. Even though I can’t change the world, and tell everyone to be kind to one another, I can certainly start persuading people near my home to be kind. There are different kinds of kindness in the world. One is helping people getting stuff accomplished because they are busy or just doing it because, another is doing volunteer work to make the world a better place, and lastly, treating others with respect, to make them feel better, and to make more friends.

If the world was filled with kindness, no matter big or small, there’d be more peace. If we were willing to do stuff that’ll change the world,(in a good way) and that’ll change the way we feel about others, and the way we feel about ourselves, then that’s what makes the world a better place.