Yura - LaGrange, Illinois

As a young boy or girl, you all probably grew up like every American child did, learning how to say your first words, going to preschool and kindergarden, and learning your ABC’s. That was not the case for me, I was not even born in the United States. I have little recollection of my childhood life with my family from Russia. I cannot remember what they looked like or what their personalities were like. All I can remember is living in an orphanage for about two or three years of my life. I do not even recall what I did in the orphanage. To you, this may not be the best way to remember your childhood, but when I think about it, it is not too bad because it could have been worse.

Things started to improve for me when a family came and looked at my sister and me. At the time, I did not know what was going on because I was only five years old. The main problem was that they spoke English, while my sister and I could only speak Russian. Thankfully, they were living with a Russian family who translated for them because every time my sister and I spoke, they had no idea what we were talking about and we had no idea what they were trying to say to us. In this situation, non-verbal communication played a very important part in trying to understand each other. I believe that communication is possible even though two people do not speak the same language. Without non-verbal communication, we would not have understood each other. Even though we spoke Russian, they had an idea of what we were talking about through our non-verbal communication. After a while, my sister and I realized that this was going to be our new family. When we came to the United States, we still did not know how to speak English so non-verbal communication was necessary with our new family. However my sister and I continued to communicate in Russian for about six months.

Thinking back in history, it is evident that many different cultures had to use some sort of non-verbal communication to understand each other. Communication between different cultures has been necessary for many centuries. With modern technology bringing different cultures together. The importance of non-verbal communication has grown. The world relies on non-verbal communication between two new cultures meeting for the first time.