mike - la grange, Illinois

Music, a power beyond explanation, it can be used for motivation, emotion or even help learning. Music is enjoyed by most people for various reasons. It can pump you up, calm you down. It can make you happy or sad. Music opens a doorway to feelings beyond the stress and anxiety of a normal day in the life of most Americans. Music can bring together cultures and, unfortunately, to most, it is just music, but to some it is a passion.

My whole life I have been passionate about music, a connoisseur of sorts, you might say. My whole dad’s side of the family is very musical, for instance, my grandpa (Papou to me) played piano all of his life. My dad has played guitar since he was 12 or so. He can play most stringed instruments, and can sing very well. Being a hippie, my dad had a very different taste in music, instead of growing up on Mozart and Beethoven I grew up on the Beatles and the Grateful Dead. My parents now regret playing music while I went to sleep as I child, because now I find it hard to go to sleep without it!

My dad influenced greatly on my taste in music, but so did an assortment of other things. I discovered many different types of music at an early age. I came to enjoy almost all forms of music.

In my early years I expressed an interest in playing music. Though not fun, I played piano for about 2 years. After being able to fluently read music, my dad started to teach me guitar. I played guitar for a while and then about 2 years ago, I started to play bass guitar. I have taught myself and came to enjoy playing music very much.

Through the learning of music, I came to appreciate the skill it takes to create and play music. It went from a passion to a way of life. The common question that often pops up in conversation, “would you rather be deaf or blind?” In a heartbeat, no questions asked, I would answer blind. Without eyes I couldn’t see, but without ears, I couldn’t hear the music that I have enjoyed for all of my 15 years.

I got a summer radio show before freshman year, I enjoyed it a lot. After that I engineered during the year and had shows in the summer. Through radio I was presented a chance to express my passion of music to other people. I can’t make them listen, but I can influence the ones who do. I believe in the power of music.