Angelo - Indian Head Park, Illinois

I am sure that all of you have heard the phrase “good things come to those who wait”. I am also sure that all of you have heard the phrase “life is too short to wait”. Well, I believe in a combination of both of these statements. You must be patient in life, but at the same time not too patient. I believe that the right amount of patience is essential to being successful in all areas of life.

We live in a world of instant gratification. In this modern age, especially in young people, patience is not valued. Everyone wants what they want now. Things such as the internet and T.V. have made us less patient. I believe we must start valuing patience.

Throughout my life so far I have come to realize that patience is a very important asset. If you jump into something to quickly, it may turn out to be a bad decision. I have also realized that by being too patient, an opportunity will pass you by. One must decide when the opportunity is right to do something.

This belief can be used in all facets of life. The right amount of patience can be found throughout our normal lives. One must be patient in their relationships with other people. For us to have to be successful in relationships we must be patient with one another. If we are too patient however, then the relationship is pointless. One must find a balance between the two.

An example of having the right amount of patience is in sports. For instance, in cross country you must decide where at the end of a race you will start sprinting to the finish. If you’re not patient you could start too early and end up running out of energy before the finish. If you wait too long then your time will not be as good. This happened to me. My first race I was too patient and conservative and didn’t pass as many people as I could have. The next race I was too impatient and started too early, and died out. I then realized I had to find the median between the two.

A common cliché of patience is “patience is a virtue” but I believe that having the right amount of patience is a virtue. You could either do something too early or too late and that is what I avoid doing. Patience is important whether it being a small thing or something really influential. In life, patience in the right amount is the most important thing, this I believe.