Luke - La Grange, Illinois

It was only the beginning of my childhood. Toys were everything I could think about. But the one toy that was my necessity was the G.I. Joe. They were my life, yet there was a greed that inflicted me for wanting the greatest collection, one that would take me too far.

It was my summer going into 1st grade and I was 6 years old. My mom was in an aerobics class and I was confined to the daycare room. I was playing by myself when I noticed it. It was the coolest G.I. Joe I had ever seen, an army general with a radio pack on its back. There were buttons too that made sounds. Hands down the greatest G.I. Joe ever and I had to have it. I had sneakily placed it into my pocket, and no one noticed it. I was overwhelmed with anxiousness in the car ride home. As soon as I was in the house, I was already in my room and had placed the stolen toy under my bed. About a week later I was in the tub for my daily scrub, and I had brought some of my toys with. One of the toys that made its journey to the tub was the first G.I. Joe I had ever gotten, which also happened to be my favorite. After I was done, I unconsciously pulled out the drain plug and left to get dressed. It was about half an hour later that I realized I had left my toys in the tub! As I had raced back upstairs and rescued them, one of the toys was not so lucky. It was my beloved G.I. Joe and he was stuck in the drain. My dad came with the needle nose pliers, but it did not save G.I. Joe. He was ripped in half and I was devastated.

I believe in karma, that what happens in your time being on earth will stick with you the rest of your life and next lives. The situations that have been embedded onto my life will continue to remind me of the faults I have chosen to do. Because of me stealing some other child’s favorite toy for myself, in return my favorite toy was taken from me. I consider ever wrong choice I make during my life will undoubtedly catch up to me in the future.

I am reminded almost everyday of how I lost my favorite toy, for my little brother has had the legacy of playing with G.I. Joe’s passed onto him. I see him playing with the action figures and it is just torture for me. I will not be able to forget losing that toy. My karma has a burden attached to it and I will not be able to shake it loose and I will never be free of it.