Brian - La Grange Park, Illinois

“The Good in All”

Today in society, people view others in terrible ways and show very little respect. Kids especially are judging peers left and right. Making fun of others is the new way to act cool. Not to mention the use of inappropriate language is very common among young kids, especially when used against someone.

I believe that there is good in all of us, but most of the time people are afraid to show it, because their friends don’t think it’s cool. I get to see this behavior first hand everyday. From the time I get on the bus till the time the bell rings students are always putting other students down as they bask in the laughter of their friends. Each day I sit on my bus and listen to a student curse or insult one another. Then, the student’s friend thinks it’s cool so he joins in and it spirals down from there. Soon enough, many other students dislike a single student just because they think it’s cool and want to fit in.

There is also the problem of constant swearing. I probably would not be able to count the amount of swears I here a day. Some people say one or two for every sentence that leaves their mouth. There is a very simple reason to explain this ridiculous amount of swearing. Students and kids have grown up to think it’s cool. Everyone wants to be exactly like their friends to fit in, which is only natural, but many go too far. When one of my family members accidentally curses they say, “excuse me,” but I don’t think they know how exposed I am to that kind of language.

All it takes to prevent these problems are for students to become role models that are friendly and have a clean mouth. Someone has to define a new kind of cool. This type of cool has to exploit everyone’s good inside them and involve being friendly with others. It would be awesome if one could simply say, “what’s up,” to another instead of insulting them and others would think he’s cool. That’s all it would take.

All in all, I believe that there is good in all of us, but we chose not to show it, because we are afraid of what others will think of us.