David - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: work

I Believe…

I believe in hard work. I believe that it will come up in everybody’s life sometime or another. I believe hard work should begin from childhood. Make your children clean up their toys after everyday. Get them prepared for the world to come and start them early because chances are that they will use hard work in their lives as adults.

Back on that when I started to believe in hard work questions arose from my mind. I was ten years old when I learned the concept of hard work. I remember that day clearly. My dad was planning on building a new deck for the back of our house. He told me about and not thinking anything of it I zoned him out like I usually do when I know it is not important. Then later on that day he told me about it again. I thought, why would he be telling me this again? I said to myself, there must be a hint to find in there somewhere. Then all of the sudden it came to me and I said, “Do you want me to help you build the deck dad?” His face lit up like I had figured out the secret to life. He said, “Yes I would love that son.” I was thinking about beginning to protest, but I knew he was going to make me help him either way so I went along with it. The next morning while the dew was still on the grass and the sun was still beginning to rise, I felt my dad shaking me gently awake. I sat up erect and looked at my clock, the numbers showed 7:30. I did not know what I was getting myself into when I said I would help my dad the day before. I got up and put on some clothes laying around my floor, too tired to even go in my drawer to get clean one’s. I slumped down the stairs still half asleep. I saw my dad at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me. He said, “Wake up, we have a lot of hard work to do today.” I groaned in dissatisfaction, as I was still very tired. That day was some of the most grueling work I had ever done. Hauling lumber from here to there, cutting boards, nailing boards, and every other single thing you can think of having to do with boards. My dad and I worked from 8 to 5 only stopping for lunch and a couple of water breaks. Building the deck went on for 1 week and when my dad and I were finished I think we were both relieved. My dad said, “You have done some hard work this week son.” The best part of those words were it was in that sort of proud voice parents have.

There were a couple of questions I really pondered over for the next few days after we and finished the deck. Would I have to work hard all of my life? Is there any way to avoid it? Now I realize that I will have to work hard all of my life. I want to have a good life and to achieve that, hard work will naturally have to come in the process.