Valdijah - Millersville, Pennsylvania

Natural Expression of Love

As a parent, I believe my daughter’s greatest learning experiences should occur at home. As a child, I recognized that my parents ensured I was educated, and this assurance was a natural expression of their love. As an adult, I hold this thought as a fundamental belief. Since learning begins at birth, many learning opportunities will present themselves before my daughter enters a classroom. Therefore, educating my daughter as a part of everyday living is a natural expression of my love for her.

I began reading to Bella in my womb. I would go into her library that was started years ago, in anticipation of motherhood, and select a book. By the time she was born, we had read and reread our favorites. The process of selecting books for purchase is filled with love and concern that she be empowered and fierce. When selecting books, I consider what it teaches. Reading nourishes her imagination and ignites creativity.

We spend many mornings at our local park observing nature. Being in nature allows a firsthand look at science in motion. As we pass foliage, I explain its role in nature. When it is warm, I remove her socks to allow her little toes to be blanketed by lush green grass. We talk about grass and its purpose in the life cycle. We use her senses to learn about a blade of grass. She feels the grass to observe its texture and smells its unique scent. At eye level, I will explain its color and shape.

We listen to music and appreciate artistic works. Bella’s brain is stimulated by jazz, classical, gospel, and international tunes. Her peaceful demeanor is an outward sign of inner peace. Music has inherent beauty and as an expression of my love, I teach her to find beauty in a diversity of musical styles. We explore life through art. I began teaching her art history as another way to cultivate her mind. She has begun to learn art from civilization’s first renderings and we are moving forward along a timeline through the history.

Mathematics, being the foundation and universal premise of all knowledge, creates a platform for learning applied mathematics. Many simple household chores allow an opportunity to learn counting, measuring, and geometric angles. My motto is to start early and be consistent. My belief that excelling in mathematics will ensure her success in many other areas like language and abstract thinking, and build reasoning ability, is an expression of love.

Extending my love to Bella means ensuring she has the best opportunity at success in life. Providing her with her earliest learning, in our home, gives me great pleasure, and creates a nurturing and loving environment in which she may grow. Knowing the benefits and advantage of education is my driving force that is ignited by love. Fostering an interest in and love of learning will shape her life profoundly. Ultimately, educating her as a natural expression of my love means giving her the very best of me.