James - Bolton, Massachusetts

Lights, cameras, action. This may bring to mind the fear and terror of going on stage in front of hundreds of people, but to me it is the most blissful peace I can possibly think of. It is such a blissful feeling that when it is over it is like coming out of a deep trance. This is the world of acting through my eyes.

I’m sorry, where are my manners. My name is Jay and I’m 17. Acting has always been a huge part of my life. When I was little I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was never into cars and being a policeman or fireman never held much interest to me. One day my 3rd grade class was doing a trial for the little boy who cried wolf and we were all given lines. I rehearsed these lines like mad with my mom. When the day finally came I recited my lines and one of the kid’s dads, who had helped with the project pulled me aside and told me I remembered my line really well and I should become an actor one day. This stuck with me and I have been doing all I can to improve on my acting. It has made me tremendously happy.

I don’t know what is the about the theater that makes me feel so happy. Maybe it’s the feeling of all through eyes on you, analyzing, judging, wondering what you have to contribute to the story; although you can’t see them because of the blinding spotlight in your eyes. Maybe it’s the smell of the paint and wood under your feet. Maybe it’s the taste of the electricity in the air. Maybe its the sounds of the crowd laughing at your antics. Whatever it’s the incredible feeling.

Most people are terrified about going on stage and they always tell me this. I can tell you from experience that it is nerve-racking to know that so many people are watching and that you might mess something up. I tend to put this horrible thought out of my mind and say to myself the following things. That I have rehearsed my lines a hundred times, if I make a mistake then who cares, and lastly that no one is in the audience. This tends to comfort me. If anyone ask me advice on what to remember when they are on stage I would tell them the same advice as above.

I believe that if you seriously love what you do and are passionate about it then you will go far. I mean what’s the point of doing something you hate when your going to do it for the rest of your life.