Chieko - Sacramento, California

The Power of Ability

I grew up with the notion that I would have to work my way to success. And I define work as: knowledge, expertise, social skills, and the ability to respond to demand. Nothing in my vocabulary for success speaks average. As I dig my way further into the business world, it has become a factual note, that, in order to be accepted and relied upon as a working professional, I must posses a keen ability or skill that I am able to use to my fullest aptitude. For, at the end of the day, progress is measured by outcome, and the outcome is to exceed the competition.

As a sophomore in college, I was hired into a consulting firm as a receptionist because I realized the need for experience on my resume when I graduated. The second day at the firm, I was removed from the front desk, provided my own office, and started working with a team of four, a more experienced and elder group in technical recruitment. Six months later, I was leading the recruitment team with another associate who was also a student, and reporting to the firm’s CEO on a daily basis. We were in charge of overseeing the members of the team, their progress and results as well as answering the impossible demands of the CEO. We earned the respect of Senior Level executives within the corporation, because of our ability to make these demands possible. Through these positions, I gained management experience, the full life-cycle of technical recruitment, and social interaction skills that will guide me to becoming someone important and more successful. Although the other members of the team were more qualified on paper, the competition offered me an opportunity to excel greater than the others.

I believe in competition. I believe in surpassing mediocrity and excelling beyond expectations. The fantastic thing about the business world is that there is always something better; a better lawyer, a better project manager, a better president who will produce a higher outcome than any other. Regardless of how many years of experience a rival candidate may hold, I am convinced that through the utilization of knowledge, ability, and skills, I will surpass the other’s outcome as well as the organization’s status quo, even if I hold a mere percentage of experience of the other. Outcome will be the true measure for candidate attainment. Competition is one to offer opportunities to the wise, aggressive, intelligent and efficient.