Ray - Livonia, Michigan
Themes: hope

Hope

One day while I was in my sixth grade class my teacher signaled me into the hallway. I couldn’t believe what my teacher was telling me, I didn’t want to believe it. I tried so hard to tell myself this wasn’t possible. My teacher had told me that my mother had just passed away. My mom was diagnosed with stomach cancer a year earlier. This was one of the worst feelings I have ever had to experience in my life. Five years prior to this my father had passed away from pancreatitis. My mother had remarried about three years after my father’s death. The worst part was that I was not much of a fan of my step father and now I was stuck with him for the rest of my life.

The first year living with just my step father was awkward and hard because I didn’t get along with him at all. I’ve known this man for three years and now I’m supposed to be raised by him. Eventually things got better and we starting getting along. I have know idea how I got through this difficult situation, but some how I managed. I think the biggest reason I managed was that I never gave up hope. I kept telling myself quitting was not an option. I was not going to sit back and mourn for the rest of my life. I had to move on with my life. That little bit of hope gave me the strength to move on. I also think that the support of my family and friends helped. I knew that eventually my life would get better.

I believe that overcoming these hard times has pushed me in life. I never let anything hold me back from doing what I what to get accomplished. In some strange way these difficult times have given me strength and courage. I believe that there is always hope in the worst of situations. This little bit of hope can get us through the worst possible times in our lives. This I believe.