Shane - Livonia, Michigan
Themes: addiction

Drug Free is the way to be

Drug free is the way to be, this is what I believe. I grew up with a parent that smoked and a grandfather that died from a heart attack which was partially due to smoking. Luckily, he was the only one that has passed away that was close to me, but I really didn’t get to know him very well. I’ve had some friend’s parents that smoked and it just made me sick. Throughout my years of growing up I was always told not to smoke or do drugs. The word came across in as early as elementary school. The D.A.R.E program which means Drug Abuse Resistance Education program has helped some get through the thoughts of smoking and doing drugs, but most others did not care what the D.A.R.E program had to say. Personally I think the D.A.R.E program had no effect on me, but the harmful pictures and stories that I have been told did. Now thinking back to sixth grade when all of my friends and I graduated from the D.A.R.E program I can tell you more then half of my peers easily smoke. They didn’t even care about the consequences or even if they died tomorrow but when in relality they actually did. Today I hear about former students that I went to high school with now dead due to drug abuse. What I don’t understand is why people do it. It has no benefit what so ever for you or your body at all. Throughout all the people that have died I don’t understand how much its going to take for people to realize how harmful it is. People that I know make the excuse and use the oh so famous words “when I was your age” people like myself had no idea what kind of effects smoking or doing drugs would have on a human being. Well to me that’s no excuse and it’s defiantly not too late to make a change. You can always stop doing drugs and smoking. You just have to make that decision that you really want to continue living and seek the right help if needed. We all have a mind of our own and I have come to realize only some of us know how to use it and to make the right decisions. Not to say I’m a perfect human being because I’m definitely am not, but being one of few people on this planet that has never tried smoking or doing drugs it literally kills me to see or be next to someone who is smoking or doing those drugs. I personally think they’re people who would agree with me that smoking should be banned because even though some of us have made the decision not to smoke or do drugs being around someone who is doing them can make a harmful impact on someone’s life and also with smoking the smoke can have a harmful effect on someone with them not even having one of those damn things in their mouth. My reasoning behind not doing drugs and smoking is because it is very harmful to your body and others around you., and because the impact on the drug can make you do very stupid things that you will regret, and also, drugs lead to guns and violence when people get really serious about it. Lives are taken and other lives are ruined and you can’t ever in a lifetime make up for the harmful decisions that they have made. It’s depressing to see what people have done to themselves and their family. But until I see the day when our world is drug-free which unfortunately will never happen, everyone one by one can make the change to take that extra step. People can make the decision to live a longer lasting and healthier life and to quit their bad habits. Hopefully people will begin to try.