John - Western Springs, Illinois

This I Believe…

My grandfather always had known what was important. He knew that his children and his wife came before anything else. My grandfather took these values to his grave, despite the fact he battled Alzheimer’s disease for the ending years of his life. His philosophy on life has lived on through me. I believe in the importance of self values. Knowing the things that are important to you can help you battle every sort of obstacle that life may throw at you.

My grandfather worked for the city of Chicago. He worked distributing all the trucks owned by the city such as garbage trucks and snow plows. Whenever it would snow early in the morning my grandfather would get a call. Despite the hours, he would have to go to work and leave my grandmother. He loved his job, but his family always came first. Years passed, and my grandfather was long retired from his sometimes hectic job. My grandparents had moved out of the city, and retired to a small community. My Grandfather did not stop working however. He was always the man who was bombarded with calls at all hours from his fellow community members with questions and concerns. He loved being the man in charge, but his family always came first. After only a few great years, my grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. A disease that took away many of his physical attributes. Although my grandfather could not decipher, nor answer my family and I he still loved us with everything he did. My grandfather passed in March. Which although he had been suffering from Alzheimer’s for a few years, his passing still appeared sudden and shocking. Sitting at his funeral, alone and ruffled, I began to scan the audience of people who had come to pay respect. It was then when I realized the values my grandfather had. The flood of people young and old to see him was outstanding. All of there stories ended in the same way however, “His family always came first”. I did not know a majority of the people at his funeral, and frankly I didn’t care. It was obvious that no matter how these people knew my grandfather, then knew he valued his family the most.