Kim - LaGrange, Illinois

This I believe. I believe in friendship. I think friendship can do astonishing

works. With friendship one can be a truly better person. Our friends are the people who we learn from, and learn with. I think that without our friends supporting us, pressuring us, and getting us into trouble, we could not be nearly as developed as we are in this twenty-first century. The incredible bonds people have made with each other help our world to run at its best. I know I can always count on my friends, and without them I would be lost. High school is one time in our life where our friends impact us.

High school is a time where hearts are won and broken, where athleticism shines or is shut down, intelligence is put to the test, and where every person is labeled for the first time in their life not by their name. High school can be the best time and the worst time of someone’s life. I think the main influence for this feeling is friends.

I have an unbreakable friendship with a few girls and I know they have contributed to the type of person I am. The bond between me and my friends has been tested, shaken, deepened, and enriched, probably everything but broken. I remember when I got my tonsils out I had to stay inside for about two weeks. My friends came over and brought balloons and cards. I was ecstatic to see them and laugh with them again. Every time my friends make me laugh, our friendship is enriched. It made me so happy at a time when I was in pain. Sometimes the smallest things friends do can mean the most.

One thing I have learned about friendships is to never judge one. Every friendship is different and I think everyone should accept that concept. This becomes evident in high school too. Everyone has their group that they hang out with or are labeled as such as jocks, nerds, goths, preps, and many more that can sound either cruel or honoring. One thing and maybe the only thing consistent in these groups is that there are friendships. That is why I believe in friendship and the incredible ability it has.