Stephanie - Burr Ridge, Illinois

I believe in good companionship of a dog. I grew up always having a dog in my household. Even my grandparents and other close relatives had dogs or some kind of animal they loved in their house. I was surrounded by them. I do not remember a time when I did not have a dog in my life.

When I was 1 year old, my Papa’s neighbor’s dog just had puppies and he brought them over to my Papa’s house. They were little black lab mixes. My mom agreed to take one home because my mom thought it would be nice for my older sister and me. We took the runt, and because of that, she was named Pee Wee. We trained her and got to learn a little discipline while we had fun and had a friend. I remember falling asleep on the kitchen floor with her because I would pet her until I could not keep my eyes open and eventually just fall asleep. I learned to love her and care for her over the years.

The only thing about good companionship is that it does not last forever. You can always get a new pet, but it’s not the same as before. Pee Wee died when she was seven. I believe she was poisoned by our neighbors because they did not like her running into their yard when we let her out. After that, I did not have good luck with my companions.

My dad surprised us with another puppy a couple of months later. But he did not last too long. He had a disease and had to be put down shortly after, 6 months later. That made me pretty much lose hope in getting another good companion that would last longer that a couple of years. I was still pretty young so I was kind of traumatized. Having your dog be murdered by your neighbors and have a dog live to be a half a year old. That hurts me because I love dogs and bad things happening to them makes it hard for me.

We decided to get one more puppy, start from scratch, and see what happens. My sisters and I picked out another black lab mix, half akita so she was a little wilder and she had the cutest curly, fuzzy tail. My sisters and I could not pick a name for her. My mom suggested Candi and we all agreed. She was so sweet and there were many different sides to her. Sometimes she was a dog, sometimes she was a cat and sometimes she was a frog or fish. She is the weirdest, silliest, greatest thing that has happened to me right now. I hope she lasts forever and ever, but I know that cannot happen.

Not everyone gets to experience what I do with dogs, even if some of it isn’t so great, but they are missing out on something wonderful. I believe in good companionship of a dog.