Matthew - livonia, Michigan

I believe that anybody can do whatever they set their mind on. Success is not just based on talent alone. It also is made of a combination of will, determination, effort, confidence, and trying your absolute best.

Take for example former Pittsburgh Penguins captain Mario Lemieux. His father taught him how to skate when he was only three years old. Growing up in a suburb of Montreal during the winter time, he and his friends couldn’t get into a ice rink, so they padded up snow and formed a patch of ice inside of his house where they could play games of hockey. Lemieux and his friends would play any chance they could. He was so committed to following his dream that he would go through great lengths to try and live it to the fullest. He later became a highly scouted prospect in junior hockey when he was drafted first overall by the Penguins in 1984. By 1991, he got to raise the Stanley Cup. A little later in the ‘90s, Lemieux was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease and was unable to play for most of the season. When he came back the following year, he did not let it stop him, and he would later have a huge role in the scoring titles for years to come. The point is, Mario Lemieux would do anything it took and would overcome anything that got in his way to be successful.

Although it is a cliché, I believe anyone can do whatever they set their mind to. You just have to believe in yourself and be willing to overcome any odds anddo whatever it takes to reach the top.