Krystal - Canton, Michigan
Themes: pleasure, work

Breathe In Breath Out

I love running. I love the feel of the wind against my face, my hair flowing behind me and the sound of my rhythmic steps on the pavement, but what I love most about running is what I found to be the key factor in being a successful runner, a factor that I’ve learned to apply to everyday life; breathe in and breathe out.

The single most important factor to being a great runner is ultimate breath control. Without breath control I’ll never make it. It’s a fact that when a runner is challenging their body, it becomes exhausted. When I get to that point I can quit or I can push through. Ultimately, breath control pushes me through. I match my breath to the rhythm beneath me. I never let them fall off beat. My breath simultaneously stays in sync with my footsteps in a melodic pattern. I never let one breath run wild. As soon as I do I set myself up for failure.

The moment I lose breath control my body realizes it’s tired. From there the focus shifts from my breathing to my exhaustion and my body fights it. The more I fight the more overwhelmed I become. I can either quit or I can gain control. I can give in to the overwhelming feeling of exhaustion or I can breathe in and breath out.

The same rule can be applied to life. Life is unpredictable and will always throw the unexpected curve ball. We have a choice in life, we can fight our problems, or we can take a deep breath and work through them. If we choose not to breathe we fall captive to the overwhelming despair life can often bring. We will always remain at the same pace, the same place, and never overcome defeat. We can’t fight life. The moment we do we become defeated. Defeat cannot be an option. We have to keep going. We have to keep running with our shoulders back, chest out, head held high and learn to inhale then exhale.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. We all get caught up in daily stresses but they should never consume us. What is the point of life if we live life miserably? We must learn to stop fighting and live life to the fullest by simply breathing in and breathing out. We need to relax, inhale, take a moment to stop, fill our lungs with air, and take in a breath of tranquility then exhale.