Theresa - Livonia, Michigan

Love yourself, and then others will love you as well

Do you remember when you were in high school and there was always that one student that got picked on and had very low self-esteem? Well one of those students was me. Yes, I had some friends but not a lot. As you would say I wasn’t “popular”.

In high school, I never wore jeans and a cute shirt. Instead I always wore comfortable pants, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt, unless I had a track meet then I wore a skirt, so no one could see the real me, I always wore my hair up and of course no make up at all because I was afraid of what people might think of me. I always looked at the skinny girls with all of the boyfriends and thought “God, why can’t I be like that?” My self-esteem wasn’t so high. I would always have my grandma telling me that I was too big and she would tell me I look bad and even my parents would say “Are you gaining weight?” So I started believing all of those things and then I started beating myself up for being “ugly”. My friends would always say “no, you’re not”, or “cut it out,” but I kept doing it so much that they didn’t really want to be around me.

I did that until I met Doug (my ex-boyfriend now). He was the one that showed me how to love myself. Once I found out that he loved me for me and for what was on the inside, the outside didn’t matter anymore. I started accepting myself for who I was and I started showing the real me.

Doug was a good thing that happened to me; he showed me not to care about what other people think. I guess things didn’t work out between us because we started drifting apart. You know how people say that things happen for a reason? Well, I think that Doug was brought to me so the real me would come out of my shell and be released to the whole world.

So this is for Doug for believing in me and giving me the confidence to love myself. Now others can love me for me and for what God made me today. For this I believe that you should love yourself, and then others will love you as well.