Meghan - Western Springs, Illinois

I have been a gymnast since I was three. I originally started gymnastics at Flying High because one of my best friends Emily was doing it and I wanted to do it too. What started out as just plain fun and games became one of the biggest things in my life . Throughout gymnastics I have had many obstacles. Some have been harder than others. Just a few days ago my coach Gabbe was deported back to Sweden. Gabbe was one of my favorite coaches in all of my gymnastics career. What has only been three years three with her, has seemed like a lifetime. It is hard to believe that she has made such a difference in that amount of time. Gabbe has helped me become a stronger gymnast mentally and physically. She has pushed me to get past my fears and perfect many of the skills which I used to think were very difficult. She inspired me and had a huge influence on me. In gymnastics there are only ten levels before you go to elite, college, or even Olympics if that is what you want to do. Gabbe has helped me reach level nine which I thought was impossible just a few years ago. I honestly never even really thought about it. But even though Gabbe is leaving, I have decided to stay at Flying High. She has spent a lot of time with me and the lessons she taught me will always be with me. Her leaving was very hard on me and the team. We wish we could have been able to do something about it, but nobody could do anything about it. She will be gone for three years and is not even allowed to visit. Her not coaching us will be hard. Many people have thought about quitting. That is a hard decision for me to make. Things will be different and her leaving is just one more reason for me to go too. I think I should stay because I can not leave team members behind and it keeps me in shape. But I really stay because I realize I really do love to do gymnastics. Throughout all the Injuries, tears, sweat, yelling coaches, and hard times, I still realize that I love the sport. I just can not leave all those moments and memories behind. There is something in me that just says to keep going. I believe in doing what you love to do. Gabbe leaving is hard but it does not change my love for gymnastics. No matter what people tell you to do, you should listen to your heart. I am still at Flying High and I have made it farther than I ever thought possible. I plan to stay there through senior year. Then I will move on, but never forget what gymnastics has taught me.