Jay - Burr Ridge, Illinois

I believe in inner-strength. The force inside that propels our mind, body and soul to keep moving on. Though I am not sure if I have had my test of inner strength, I have seen the people I love most show this force. When I was 10 years old, my father suffered a brain hemorrhage just 2 weeks before my 5th grade year was to begin. The six months after his hemorrhage became little more than a blur. It would have been easy for my sister and I to have been lost in the chaos and uncertainty that comes with a condition such as this. However, getting lost was never an option. The pillars on which I had built my young life would not let that happen. Though one pillar was unable to help support the load, at the time, the other was more than able to cover. This pillar was my mother. Despite any troubles in her mind, she kept our family in order, never letting our lives change in the least because of what had happened. Balancing a full schedule and then some, work, visiting my father and still taking care of every problem that arose in our lives. The inner strength she has, I can only imagine. As I saw the toughness that she possessed, I saw the same trait in my sister. When my mother needed to spend an extra few hours at the hospital my sister would readily take on the task of caring for me. At the young age of 15 she was now another pillar on which I built upon. Her strength kept my spirits high, even if she herself was feeling down. The final pillar that kept me afloat during these times was my father. Though for much of the time he was not able to help me with school or even with house hold tasks, his influence was no less significant. As I saw him struggle to begin speaking, then on to walking and finally back to resuming a somewhat normal life, I saw the perseverance in him. His own inner-strength that kept him from giving up. Their strength guided me through the toughest time in my life thus far. It has impacted the way I go about my day to day tasks as well as anything else I may try. Their strength has taught me to never give up, even when I feel like success may be impossible to reach, but I still strive for it, knowing that there is something inside me that will keep me going. It is that driving force that has enabled the human race to do such seemingly impossible tasks. I have seen that inner strength, a strength that lies deep within all of us, comes out in times of need and helps us persevere through life’s difficulties. I believe in inner strength.