Mike - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe in standing up for ones beliefs. Many of the prominent figures in the history of mankind have made their marks on civilization by standing up for what they believe in. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. used his beliefs to start a revolution that changed the face of not only America, but the world in general. I believe that when someone stands up for what they believe in, there is no greater thing in the world.

In my first period ceramics class, when The Pledge of Allegiance is being said, only a few of my classmates and my self decide to stand up and show respect to The American Flag, while the other vast majority of students stay seated, and work on their projects, and even sometimes continue their conversations. I believe that one should stand up, and show respect for the beautiful history and flag of their home, The United States of America. If one decides not to stand up and recite The Pledge, they could at least bow their heads, and stay quiet for the duration of The Pledge. But when everyone else in the class stays seated, my self and 4 or 5 of my other class mates stop what we are doing, and recite The Pledge. It may just be a couple of sentences to some people, but it is a portrayal of my belief and understanding of the profound history of America. It is what I believe in, and I will “stand up” for it even if I am the only one doing it. To stand up for a belief, is to stand up for one’s self. If you start not to belief anymore, you are just a person going through life without a voice or personality. To believe is to live, and to live is the greatest gift of all.

Standing up for what you believe in is a privilege, not an entitlement, so one should stand up for what they believe in. That is what I believe in.