Catya - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: creativity defines art as the class of objects such as paintings, sculptures, or drawings. What about appearance, acting, dance, emotion, self expression, and life itself? Isn’t all that art as well? Art is not limited by a specific definition; there is art in everything that everyone says and does. According to psychologists and anthropologists, human beings have specific needs and one of them is creativity in some form. One mode of creativity is self expression and I believe that self expression is the most powerful and all encompassing form of art. I have always enjoyed expressing myself. If I have ever liked to do something or felt strongly about certain topics, I have displayed my opinion for everyone to take to mind, and I take to mind everything anyone else states.

Self expression is in every action you make. I remember that ever since I was a little girl, I have always loved dancing and drawing. My mom used to film embarrassing home videos of me, and hang certain finger paintings I so creatively painted in kindergarten, on our walls. To this day, at the age of 14, I still love to both dance and draw. But as years went on I discovered that there are many other forms of art other than dance and pictures.

This essay, the words I think of and read to my classmates, and even this specific belief that I am telling you all about is expressing myself. Art consists of the words people use. There is a specific style that each artist has, painting different pictures and shades with vibrations in the throat and movements of the tongue. Speech as an art is not limited to sounds; there is also an art in body language. We can change the language, accent, tone, volume, and/or rhythm of what we say to turn our words into song and express emotion in our voice. You can change the mood of a play or just conversation from dramatic to suspenseful just by changing the volume and position. Subtle changes in posture, gestures, and position all communicate a different scene to the audience.

Art is everywhere: in our music, in our thoughts, and our sight. All emotion displays something different. Art is the trust you place with your best of friends as well as the laughs you share with them. Art is emotion. How you feel, no matter how serious or silly you think they are. The colors that you see, the lights that give contrast and shadows bring out art. Light is not just a source of art because it allows you to view it, but also allowing you to interpret what you are looking at.

Again, expressing yourself with your own thoughts is art. What you are wearing as you speak in front of your classmates and teacher, that is art as well. Your expressions of style as well as the lingo you use make up art. Why would anyone ever classify life into such simple categories such as only paintings, sculptures, and drawings? I believe that art is indefinable.