Kyle - Plymouth, Michigan

I Believe That??????

“You learn something new everyday.” I am sure that is a quote that everyone has heard and said at some point throughout their life. I never really thought about it, but its true. Not everything that can be learned is educational. Some of it is just learning about life. At the age of 25 I am still at the beginning stages of life and learning. I have accomplished a lot through school and work and have gain large amounts of knowledge from both. But I still have to learn about life and the world outside of the textbook or the workplace. That is why I believe that I don’t know what I believe.

Ever since I can remember my family has always been religious. By religious I mean that we went to church every Sunday and that we inferred that there is some kind of higher power. So for me there was never any doubt that God existed. As the years went on I started to become more independent in life and mind. I stopped taking whatever everybody else said as fact and started to figure out how I felt about things. Religion was one of those things that I started to doubt.

I am a very physical learner. For me to believe something you have to prove it to me. Since I think this way I started to doubt the idea of a higher power. For the simple reason that no one could prove to me that It was out there. For me it seemed like people would use religion to explain something that they couldn’t justify. It almost seemed like it was used as a scapegoat. Instead of taking the time to figure something out they would just say that it is that way because that is how God wanted it. So I started to shut myself out to the world of religion and believe that there was no higher power. I started to convince myself that Heaven and Hell didn’t exist. That it couldn’t exist. I started to believe in what I read in textbooks. I started to believe in hard science. I started to believe that there was logical explanation for almost everything in the world if you just look hard enough.

Then one day I realized that instead of expanding my mind and knowledge I was actually restricting it. Instead of learning both sides I was just concentrating on what I physically saw or read and totally disregarding the fact that the other side may be true. I started to think that maybe the reason that I didn’t believe in religion wasn’t because I couldn’t touch it, but because I was ignorant about it. While I was gathering all of the information to dispute the presence of a higher power I wasn’t getting any information to prove that it was there. So I started to. As I did this my beliefs started to change. Not all of them, but some.

This is just one small example in my belief (or lack there of). To me having a belief means that you are 100% sure of something and that nothing could sway you from how you feel. As of right now there is nothing in my life that I feel that strongly about. I don’t want to be that closed minded. I want to learn as much as I can for as long as I can. I want to constantly prove to myself that I am wrong. Come find my 60 or 70 years from now when I am lying on my death bed. At that point I will tell you what I believe. Until then, your guess is as good as mine.