Jeanette - Livonia, Michigan

This I believe in learning a life long lesson,

Growing up all through my life my parents had morals and values they encouraged me to partake and believe in. When I was younger, every Sunday was church, youth group and family time. The society was much different then. All through my life I was warned about premarital sex and how you shouldn’t live with a male until you get married. Once I hit middle/high school it seemed like I was shown a whole different light. It’s almost like my parents were telling me these things to keep me out of trouble. The society now was always being compared to what it uses to be like when they were growing up. Needless to say, once I graduated high school I moved in with my boyfriend. My family was disappointed in me, but they wanted me to be happy. I still had morals living with Greg, I was going to school full time, working a full time job and taking care of the household. Much like anyone who owned their own place would do. I took care of myself, and I didn’t treat it like a free for all. Being on my own and living with a male really opened up my eyes to a lot of things in today’s world that I feel that I wouldn’t have experienced if I had listened to my parents. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not saying my parents were incorrect in any way; I just had to find out for myself. One of the biggest values I admired the most was trust. When I moved in with Greg, I thought I trusted him, I thought I knew him and I thought everything would be great for us living together since we dated long distance for over 6 months.

I was wrong…..

Everyone warned me not to move in with him, they said it was too early and I didn’t know him that well yet. I still didn’t listen to anyone, not even my best friend. I moved in with Greg, everything was great, seemed like we would be together forever, until a few months passed by. All the morals my parents taught me about the male and female pitching in around the household to help keep the place together, well that went out the window really fast. It was more like, my self and I pitching in to help. I started to learn that I couldn’t trust Greg. You know when you get that feeling deep down inside, your gut feeling? I had that a lot but I second guessed myself and fought the feeling. A year went by, good times, bad times, lots of fighting and it was more one sided. When I say one sided I mean myself putting all the work into the relationship. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed living with someone, being able to come home and have dinner, relax and just chat with someone, but it really didn’t end up that great.

In the end, we split up, Greg ended up moving out of state and I was stuck here in this apartment all by myself. In the end I learned a huge lesson. First off I should have listened to my parents in the first place, and second, if you feel that you can’t trust someone you probably shouldn’t live with them. All in all, I learned a few very valuable lessons in my life with this experience and I can honestly say that even though my parents were right, if I didn’t live with Greg I would have never known some of the bad habits he has had. Life lessons are the best because even if you make a mistake, your family always has your back and will never look down on you.