Erik - Willow Springs, Illinois

I believe in flavor, a wonderful or horrible sensation felt on all of our tongues everyday. From sweet to sour all flavors have a purpose. Some flavors act as comfort food to make those whose self-esteem isn’t so high, better. Others stimulate and wake us up and others to calm us down. Flavors can be related to events in everyone’s life. A common flavor is that of a cake. Everyone can relate cakes to birthdays and weddings because that is a happy celebratory flavor that goes with a happy celebratory time. Not many people would eat a cake at a funeral that is because it’s a sad time and a time of sorrow.

I grew up learning that sweet was a taste for celebration or for after dinner. The sweetest foods were served on holidays and birth days. Other flavors also come into play in our lives. The flavors of the green vegetables served to kids who will refuse to eat is what most consider to be the flavor of healthy foods. People can’t live on sweet alone because if a flavor is redundant it looses its former glory and people will grow tired of it. I used to eat the same cereal for breakfast everyday but then I grew tired of that flavor. Then I switched to a different flavor then I ended up just not eating cereal at all. Now I eat a variety of food for breakfast to keep myself form growing tired of that food.

All food has flavor and those few foods that don’t aren’t very popular. I’ve only had tofu once but I put a sauce on it to give it flavor. If I were to have eaten it plain I would have felt unsatisfied with it. It is hard to eat something with no flavor without adding flavor. It’s also hard for me to eat something I don’t like without drowning it in some sort of sauce. At that point I fell like a little kid who can’t eat a meal with our putting ketchup on every thing. I was never one of those kids; I would always savor the flavor of the meal. If I ever need to add flavor to a meal I would add barbeque sauce. Barbeque was and still is my favorite flavor because there’s a large variety but it all has the same basic flavor.

Flavor connects the world’s cultures. Some cultures are expressed through out the world through food. Chinese food can be found through out the western hemisphere. The pizza can be found in a large number of countries and is very popular across the world. Along with pasta and many other food that is eaten normally. Flavor connects the world and that’s why I believe in it.