Elizabeth - Mahtomedi, Minnesota

This I believe

I believe to never take anything or anyone for granted. As the quote goes, “You never know what you have until it is gone.” The quote ties into my life for I never knew what I had until I lost it all.

I had a school friend who I was very close to; we would do everything together. But summer of eighth grade my friend moved away. I would have never given it any thought that she might move away. Fortunately I still occasionally visit her and talk to her on the phone, but it isn’t the same anymore. That was the beginning of my “life falling apart.”

At this point I felt as if my life has been cornered in a “dead end” and everything was going down hill from there. What I didn’t understand is losing and gaining is a part of life, and everyone deals with it sometime in life. I have learned to move on with life, as much as it hurts emotionally.

The biggest event I took for granted was my aunt who is also my godmother. She is technically my step aunt. The only relation we had been through my uncle’s and her marriage. Odd as it sounds she was my favorite relative, because she treated me like the best thing that happened to her since her own kids were born. She was like a second mother to me; I always looked forward to visiting my relatives, for I would always see her. Recently, she and my uncle got into a dispute and they divorced. Unfortunately I rarely ever see her anymore. This was the biggest event that has happened in my life that changed my views on people and events dramatically. I realize I did take her for granted, for I always expected her to be there for me loving me and caring for me, but little did I know things can change. Even now I still miss her, and am trying to “let her go”, but that’ll be impossible, because she will always have a little spot in my heart. I noticed when I begin to take people for granted they leave. It is as if our life is a TV show for god, and whenever we seems to be having it too easy he needs to change the channel on us just to roughen things up. I used to think the world was against me, and never wanted me to be happy. Now I know everyone has had difficult times in their lives and has problems to deal with.

I’ve learned to never take anyone for granted; I cherish ever single person I know now, for I want to know that if they do leave, that you never took them for granted. Having all of these changes has opened my mind. I realized that I must enjoy people while they are here, and when they are gone you don’t have a guilty feeling of losing them in your heart.