Sandra - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living life to its fullest. Enjoying every minute of it and never regretting anything. Life is too short to spend over rationalizing actions and regretting the past. Through these actions, we miss out on the best part of life.

As a kid, I was always a daredevil. I always did dangerous things just for the thrill. I was able to make mistakes but I would never spend time regretting them. Sure, I got punished for the time when I hurt my ankle jumping off a tree but I never looked back. I enjoyed being able to experience something thrilling and dangerous. I was always the first to accept dares and the always first to volunteer to participate in dangerous activities. I lived dangerously and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Unfortunately, as I grew up, I lost much of my love for danger. It was not just through my own maturing that I lost it. It was mainly due to my new found “responsibility” that my parents implemented. Once I turned 10, my told me that I as no longer a little girl anymore. Before, when I messed up, my punishment was a 10-minute time out. But now that I was a no longer a little girl, my mom would ground me or take away my toys. She gave me new punishments which led to me being afraid to mess up. I stopped participating in things that I knew would result in punishment. I slowly stopped doing dangerous things and I lost the desire for thrill and danger. The less I did fun and dangerous things, the less the desire to do them was until finally, I lost all longing to do them. I no longer cared about having fun. I was too busy trying to stay out of trouble.

It was not until a couple of years ago that I slowly reverted back to my old carefree self. I saw that for the last couple years where I was constantly living in fear of being punished, that I never experienced the same kind of fun and adrenaline rush that I had experienced as a kid. I had matured to the point where I was living like my parents. Having no fun and living by the rules. I realized that I didn’t want to live this way. That by living like this, I was missing out on the best part of my life. I know that life is short and that unless I am enjoying every minute of it, that there is no reason for it. Though I cant go back to racing bikes and climbing trees like I used to, I still try my best to live my life to its fullest.