Philip - Countryside, Illinois

I believe in Humor

If theres anything else in the world that makes anything better humor is the only thing that has that kind power. Therefore I believe in humor.

Ever since I was a little boy in Russia no matter how bad the conditions were that we lived in my father was always there to say something funny and make nothing of all the unpleasant things happening around us. I have moved around the world a lot, once from Kaliningrad, Russia to Toronto in Canada. From there I moved to Montreal and then eventually to Chicago. There are a lot of funny moments in my life that changed a lot of things and it would be redundant for me to state them all but here is one that I remember quite well.

This was the first vacation I ever took before in my life and me and my father traveled to Cuba. While I was on vacation there for a week with my dad we had a great time with the Atlantic ocean and the unusually strong sun. On the way back to Canada when we arrived at the airport and had to go through customs and such. I was stopped by the customs because I was so tan that they thought my dad tried to bring a Cuban boy back to Canada. I did not have my Canadian citizenship yet either so they thought “Why is he trying to bring this Cuban boy back here?”. They questioned me about where I went to school and my family history and what grade I was in. This was pretty stressful because I was only 8 years old. I was pretty scared because I thought they would send me back to Cuba, and they took me away from my dad. In the end when they figured out that I was his son and we went on vacation and that I just got a little too tan and they laughed about it and everything was ok.

This is the funniest childhood memory I have that I remember. I feel that humor is one of the most important things in the world and in our daily lives and that it brings us together all the time and we do not always acknowledge it properly. As I said when me and my father were separtated we were both kind of worried that would not let me back into Canada but its also very funny that over such a little thing as me not looking anything like my dad they almost sent me back to Cuba. We all sometimes lack humor in our lives and if we just laughed at mistakes life becomes much easier.