Elisabeth - Canton, Michigan
Themes: change

I believe that everything is more.

Everything in the world changes. times, technology, people, everything. I bet when I look back on my childhood, I’ll believe that my child has it better but that is no reason to blame them for it.

I’ve heard all the stories of when my parents were young. They had it worse. They were so broke. They walked to school uphill both ways and they never needed a cell phone. What I think no one realizes is how everything is different, not just material things. There is more crime, and less pay phones. People always say the reason their child isn’t allowed a phone was because they didn’t need one. When adults no a days were younger, if they needed to call home, they used a pay phone. There is way fewer payphones now than there were back in their day. There are fewer payphones now than there were when I was a little kid, and I’m only 19, I think there is one gas station within 6 miles of me that has one. The whole world changes, not just parts of it. The people in it change, and so does the technology. I believe that my mom never had a car when she was my age but that was because none of her friends did. These days almost all kids have a car and definitely a phone. Everything about my mom’s life was worse than I have it. I can’t imagine that because I was the poorest kid I knew. I never ask my mom for money, help, clothes, nothing. I buy everything myself, even my food.

You know what I’m sure of? I’m sure that my mom’s mom had it worse than her. That times were worse and they never needed a record player to listen to. And I bet it’s a chain that will never end. Everything changes in time.

My children will have it better than me and I’m not promising that I wont let them know that. It’s just hard to listen to that when you’re in the child’s place and I’m sure that my kids will have some little piece of technology that I will have no idea how to use, but I bet other things in life will change by them too.