Brandon - La Grange, Illinois

I Believe in History

I believe that history affects our daily lives even more then we believe. We all have heard the saying if you don’t know your history then you are destine to repeat it. I see this as a true statement but as the world changes due to new technologies that are coming out daily, it becomes more and more untrue. You can say that I am wrong all you want but conflicts that occurred 60 years ago are far off thanks to the threat that if you start a war, then most of your country will be nuked. This is why we continue to make greater weapons of destruction, not to start wars hopefully but to help deter anyone from ever starting one. The two wars recently were not conflicts of territory like in the past but the enrichment of a people out of fear and dictatorship. Although there were supreme rulers or in our case dictators for thousands of years, it is different now because technology has helped bring ideas together and for dictators to seem much more ruthless due to them being able to spy on other people. For me what I mean by saying history impacts our daily lives, I mean that what you say or do may affect you later in life. A time that this has been most apparent to me was recently when I told my parents that I had done an assignment and they didn’t believe me. This was only because in the past I had been known to lie about turning things in. See this is a major reason how my past doings had made my parents come to not trust me on missing work that involved school. This distrust has made my life harder on me and it doesn’t help when my parents have to expect great things of me because of my ease in elementary school. This is also an example of my histories affect on me, it’s nothing major but it’s still history. Anything that happens in the past is history and what happens tomorrow might not affect the world 1,000 years from now but there is always a chance that what happens tomorrow may be the end of the world as we know it. This I believe.