Connor - La grange, Illinois

I believe in taking other peoples advice on things. When you are little you don’t think about what is going to happen after you do something. You don’t really care about what anyone else but yourself thinks and what makes you happy. As you age you realize that people around you are very useful resources and that listening can get you very far in life.

I used to think “Oh I’ll just follow my instincts and be happy”. Whoever said do what makes you happy has some fine print to work out on that deal. If I did what made me happy I would wake up at 11:00 every morning, play video games until 2:00, eat pizza and steak, watch football, and play lacrosse. If I did do this I would not be in school, be very unhealthy, and eventually get kicked out of the house and living on the street like a bum. Instead, I listened to my parents and went to school everyday. Sure I hate it, but I know that if I stick with it, it will pay off in the long run. My parents also tell me to brush my teeth, take a shower, and do chores, all things that may sound painstaking but will pay off in the long run.

Taking random advice from people you know and don’t know will prove useful. When you are lost in a strange town do you just say, “Ah Hell, I’ll find my own way out”. You ask someone for directions and nine times out of ten you will be out of there in no time. When you see your friend in the lunch line and go “Hey man, how are the tacos?” he says that they are gross and you save your self money and the experience of bad Tacos.

Just recently I failed a Geometry test. My teacher preached that it would be difficult but I said, “Who cares it’s easy, I don’t have to study for that stuff, I’ll do it my own way”. I probably should have listened to my teacher because now I am getting a bad grade in Geometry and I am on the verge of getting grounded. This grade is not the first of many mistakes made when I decided to not listen to others.

I think that the Geometry test was an awakening for me, and I hope that this essay is an awakening for those who think they are smart because they do things their own way. Listen to others, plain and simple… That is what I believe.