Andrew - placerville, California
Themes: respect

“Social Trafic Control”

Every morning on my way to work I see people jumping out of long turn lane lines and then cutting back in at the last moment without any care or regard for those around them. I see drivers risking causing major traffic accidents because they want to change lanes right now, no matter how it effects anyone else. I see drivers going off the shoulder of the road to try and refuse to allow a car to get in front of them while merging. I see people completely disregarding car pool lane restrictions because if they don’t get caught they did no wrong, right? I see people giving the “one finger salute” to other people who honk because they were just about run off the road by that driver. I see mini vans with Jesus stickers running people off the road to get in front of them, I see trucks with American flags cutting into lanes at the last second to turn instead of waiting their turn. Is this what Jesus and our nations forefathers believed in? What I see on my drive to work every morning is that people don’t respect each other anymore, and that people don’t care how they effect others anymore.

I believe we all have the right to get to work on time without major conflict. I believe everyone deserves our respect until they earn its loss. When I merge’ I let one vehicle, and one vehicle only in front of me, even if it is a semi-truck with a giant trailer. I believe people should stick thier necks out when someone is disrespecting others, instead of just hoping they don’t run you off the road next. I believe social pressure is the only way to keep people respectful. If I see the car next to me being cut off in a deliberate manner, I don’t just sit there, I do something. I don’t have to be a hero, I just nrrf to make it known that I don’t approve of what I have just been witness to. I believe we can make change if we just stick together and apply a little social pressure. We all have the courage inside of us, and I believe we all want to say something but are afraid to do so. The police cannot be everywhere, and they cannot force us to play nice; it is up to us to help, not disrespect, each other. I believe we have the right to drive to work with out being endangered, and that no one has the right to endanger others with their driving habits. I believe we can make our freeways and streets safe to drive on again, if we just stick together and show people that we will not allow each other to be treated without respect.