Siri - Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Themes: children

And Life Goes On…

I haven’t been through much in my lifetime. I’ve only lived for one third as long as my parents have. But from the experiences and changes I’ve been through, I’ve learned that while I’m not around things go on, and I can’t dwell on the past.

At the end of summer 2005, I was told awful news. My dad had accepted a new job in Minnesota, far away from New Hampshire. I cried, sulked, called my best friend, and then cried some more. The relocating company sent my family and me out to Minneapolis to look for a house. We also visited some schools, and I decided on Mahtomedi; a small town, with a small school. I felt like Mahtomedi would make me feel the closest to my old small town and small school.

A couple of days before I moved away, my friends threw me a surprise 14th birthday party and going away party. The party was great, but I couldn’t stop thinking about my new school and what it would be like. Days later my family and I hopped on a Dartmouth Coach on its way to the Boston Airport. My friends and I all hugged and said our goodbyes, promising to call each other every night and to stay really good friends. After all, these are my real friends I thought, the new people I meet will never compare.

And so that’s how it went. At the beginning my best friend called me every Friday night, and my other good friend would call me every Wednesday night and we’d watch America’s Next Top Model, and talk. But as the weeks went by, I was getting busy with basketball and school, and my best friend was also busy with our friends. So my best friend and I went our separate ways. I had met some school friends and she had kept our old ones. I never really went out much; I just sat around thinking about what my friends back home were doing and if they missed me. Life went on, and summer was a great opportunity for me to go back and visit.

On the plane, I thought of how much fun it would be and how all of our friends would get together every night and tell secrets and talk just like old times. But that was not the case. My friends in Hanover had changed dramatically. Many girls in our group, “the lunchies” as we had called it, had split off and befriended others. A new girl had moved to the school the same time I left, and everyone was great friends with her and talked about how nice she was. Others in the group had started drinking and sneaking out. As I looked at the faces that surrounded me in Hanover, and noted all the faces that were missing, I realized that while for me it felt like the world was ending, everyone else had just moved on. I had clung to the past and had thought everything would be the same when I came back to visit. But it wasn’t.

So when I got back to Mahtomedi, I lived life like it was worth living. I took a chance in taking advanced placement classes, and I went to a football game, a dance, and I made new friends. And when I met new people I didn’t think about how I missed my friends back in Hanover, I thought about how much fun I was going to have with these new friends. And from these experiences I believe people should not cling to the past and what might have been, but simply move on and try to find something better than they had before.