Tia - London, Ohio

The Gridiron

September, could there any better month? September is the beginning of many great things, autumn, cool weather and best of all is football season. September marks the beginning of Ohio State football. I believe in Ohio State football.

It’s noon on a crisp fall day. The whole family gathers around the television. There is nowhere else I would rather be, except in the Horseshoe with thousands of screaming fans decked from head-to-toe in scarlet and gray. Even in my own living room I don scarlet and gray and my favorite buckeye necklace. From the time I understood football I have been a part of the loyalty that has become Ohio State football. I believe in Ohio State football and the intensity that comes with being a fan, the intensity to win, to be the best, and to dominate all other teams and fans.

Scarlet fever runs in my blood, as long as I can remember my family has shown me the ways of the buckeye. I always clap and scream as loud as possible, I criticize the referees when they make a bad call, and I never wear blue and yellow at the same time. The 105,000 fans chant O.H- I.O and the excitement of the upcoming game vibrates through the crowd and into my living room.

“The Best Damn Band in the Land” takes the field to perform Script Ohio as I watch the tuba player dot the “i” I am on the edge of my seat. Anticipation, excitement, and even fear take hold in my stomach. These three emotions swirl around in my body as I contemplate the possibilities of the Ohio State game. Before I know it the team I put my faith and belief in is on the field. The beating of my heart is so loud and fast I am sure it can be heard by my family.

The question of whether they will win or lose is constantly running through my head. The thought of a loss is a great heartache, but the thought of a win is an even greater triumph. I believe in the ability of the Ohio State Buckeyes to overcome a loss. I am a constant and loyal fan. No matter the outcome I will always stand and proudly show my scarlet and gray.

Friendships and hated rivals can arise from my belief. One mention of the state up north can turn a possible friendship into a rivalry. I believe in the excellence of the Ohio State Buckeyes. Every year the Buckeye faithful, including me, expect a national championship. When the Buckeyes do not have a chance to win a national championship, my heart is broken… until the last football game when they face their archrivals. If a championship is not in the cards I expect to beat the maze and blue.

I believe in the Ohio State Buckeye tradition. Year after year I wait for the beginning of the Ohio State season. I wait to see Script Ohio by the band; I wait to see Brutus Buckeye acting crazy on the sidelines. Every year I wait to hear Carmen Ohio being sung by the players after the game, and every year I wait to see the tradition of the Scarlet and Gray taking to the gridiron to conquer the team on the other side of the field. I believe in the Ohio State Buckeyes!