eric - philadelphia, Pennsylvania

This I believe,

Shortly after turning forty I herniated a disk in my back. The next two years were filled with nonstop pain. My left leg, my left butt cheek, and my lower back were no longer parts of my body, but sadistic assassins sent to torture and destroy me. I made a vow during this pain, that if I ever recovered I would never allow my health to deteriorate again. I would eat right and exercise regularly. I was lucky. I found a doctor who was able to help me without surgery. I was healed. I regained most of my strength and had only occasional mild discomfort . I was able to stand up straight and walk again.

Just after turning 43 I heard a lecture about a healthier way of living. Even though it sounded like it was an impossible thing to do, I decided to keep an open mind in light of the hell I had just been through. The lecture was about the health benefits of a living food diet . This means that one eats only live food. Live foods have not been killed by the high temperatures of cooking. A live food diet for humans would be made up of fruits, green leafy vegetables and nuts and seeds. That would be all. The lecturer pointed out that we were of nature, and that all creatures in nature ate a living food diet ( no animals naturally eat cooked food ).

The lecturer pointed out that through millions of generations of evolution all creatures have evolved to meet their nutritional needs through very specific diets. Carnivores eat meat, rodents eat nuts and seeds, Herbivores eat grass and leaves etc. etc. The question was : what is man? Man it turns out is a primate, and primates eat fruit and green leafy vegetables. This is our ideal diet. I had always been captivated by the idea and process of evolution. I had to admit that the ideas put forth by this lecturer made alot of sense to me. In light of the years of pain which I had just endured I decided to try this crazy new way of eating.

The next day I bought a bunch of fruit and went 100% raw. That was the beginning of the most miraculous time of my life. Looking back, it is as if I went through a painful 2 year death and now I was experiencing rebirth. Health problems that had been with me since childhood disappeared in weeks. Within 3 months I had lost 45 pounds. My skin cleared up (acne on my upper arms and back, Psoriasis on my forehead), my allergies disappeared ( itchy eyes since childhood ), my lifelong depression was gone, My hemorrhoids were gone, Arthritis pain in my knees and hips were gone, and the remnants of my sciatica completely disappeared. I had a new body. I am now 48 years young, and I feel better than at any time before my 43rd birthday. Many other benefits came my way too. I met my life s love, I have tremendous confidence, and I am grateful for each wondrous day of life, no matter what events may cloud it.

The food that I eat brings me closer to the natural world. I know that my life depends on the soil, the air, the water and the sun. I feel connected to something much larger than myself. I feel like I am held in a delicate web of life. I do not feel outside of nature. This gives me a safe feeling of oneness with the teeming life that fills our planet. By finding my place in nature I am now more aware and respectful of the other creatures that live here with me. I know that I am not better than them, just because I am (supposedly) smarter than them.

I look around at my fellow humans putting strange things into their bodies and then going to doctors and getting toxic drugs for their mysterious ailments and I feel they are lost. I am saddened by the vast suffering that I see people iving with. I would like to share my wonderful discovery with them, but when I do they look at me funny and quickly change the subject. We each have our own journey to walk, but I at least have found my way back to the garden of Eden. Not eating cooked food sems a small price to pay for entry.