Nicole - Weston, Ohio
Themes: family, love

I Believe in Family

I swore I would never see the day that my fifteen year old brother would be in tears. He never seemed to show emotion, let alone cry in front of anybody. It was college move in day and my whole family had come to help me get everything unpack and settled in, as much as was possible at least, given that every other new student was doing the same. My mother kept saying how she couldn’t believe that her baby girl was finally leaving home; my father, as usual, didn’t have much to say. He just kept looking at me, with his warm smile, and saying how proud he was.

The day seemed to drag on forever. We went to all of the little seminars and ate all of the free food that we were served. The freshman fifteen was going to set in before classes even started, I suppose. Then it came time for the dreaded goodbyes. We walked upstairs to my dorm room, but no one could seem say a word. We just stared at each other until my mother finally said, “You’ll be fine, Nicole. We have every bit of faith in you.” Then the tears began to swell in all of our eyes. My brother quickly looked away attempting to hide his tears. Not until that moment did I realize how much my brother really did care about me. I was no longer just that annoying older sister, who was always on the phone or making fun of him for being stupid. I actually meant something to him. I always knew that my parents had loved and cared about me, but I never realized that my brother had, too.

We all came together for one final big hug. We said our goodbyes and acknowledged how much we loved and would miss each other. It was at that moment that I realized that I truly believed in family. Not just a family, but all of the things a loving, caring, and supportive family could give you.

For the eighteen years I had lived at home there wasn’t one sporting event, one church play, one band performance, or one trip to the principal’s office that they had ever missed. They were my support. I knew that no matter what activity I had gotten involved in or what trouble I had caused, they were there for me. Whether they were up in the stands cheering me on or being a shoulder for me to cry on when things got rough, they were always there. When money got tight and they had to work long hours in the office, they showed me that no matter how bad things seemed to get, they really weren’t that bad. They showed me that love and a positive attitude could change the world. Well, maybe if not the entire world, you could at least change someone. A lot of the things I learned, I learned from their example. They treated everyone with respect and always tried to keep a smile on their face. No, everything wasn’t perfect all of the time, but they sure seemed to make everything work out somehow. My childhood had been filled with laughter, tears, and most importantly, love.

Now that it was time for me to move on to the next chapter in my life, I realized that they would still be there for me. If I ever needed anything, I could call them; if it was an emergency, they would hop on the freeway and come and get me. They had been there for me my entire life, but it wasn’t until that moment, when we all crying in my tiny dorm room, that I realized just how much they had really loved and supported me through out the years. They had helped shape who I was and who I was to become. I have never been so thankful of anything else in my entire life. From this I realize, no, I know, that I believe in a supportive and loving family.