Erin - Chicago, Illinois

“Dancing Through Life”

Ever since I was 9, in fourth grade, I’ve Irish danced. When I first started, I was

at a beginner level so I was being introduced to dancing and there wasn’t so much pressure put on because I was just learning. After practicing for months and soon a couple years, I was much better at it. I started competing and my results at feis’, Irish Dance competitions, showed my hard work. It wasn’t easy though. If I missed a class and they learned a new step, I would be behind and I would struggle trying to catch up to everybody in my class. It was between 7th and 8th grade where I believe that my dancing was my best ever. I practiced a lot and I moved up a couple levels to Novice. It was really hard in the ending of 8th grade because it was getting harder because they wanted my dancing to be perfect. I had to work harder so that I could place higher at feis’. It was annoying at class when I’d get criticized by the teacher to kick higher, and quit bending my knees, when I felt like I was giving it my all, and not to mention the feeling like I was going to pass out! With high school starting in 4 months, I knew that I

didn’t want to continue dancing because it just wasn’t fun anymore. My freshman year I

didn’t Irish dance, and now I regret that. I switched dancing schools this year as did my

younger sister, Mary. Mary has been dancing as long as I have, actually a year more

because she kept dancing even though I took a year off. I wasn’t physically active last

year. I was involved and busy with the musical, student council, volunteer work at my

parish, and things like that. I felt like I didn’t have time to dance again. I missed Irish

dancing. Dancing just started a few weeks ago for my first time again. And I’m not

going to lie, it was hard at first. I felt embarrassed because Mary was catching on to the new steps faster and she was getting more attention from the teacher. That was good for

her, but that still made me envious. I practice more and I’m getting back into the dance

routine. I feel like I’m getting good again.

I relate this experience to other things in life, like relationships, school, and God. I have learned that it is hard to start over again when you give up. Some of my friends have stopped liking me, and I don’t know why. It’s easy for me to forgive, yet hard to forget. It’s hard for them to gain my friendship back because they are still backstabbing me. In school, you have to study hard in order to get a good grade. You have to stay committed to be hardworking. Once you start to slack off, it’s hard at first to try to bring up your grade. You really have to work at it and then eventually you will be good at it again. With your spiritual life, it is crucial to stick with God. If you aren’t practicing your love for God, or if it isn’t as strong as it used to be, you tend to put yourself down and you feel like a bad person. When other things in life don’t work out, you have to put everything aside and think, why is everything starting to fall apart? I think that the answer is that we get ourselves so busy that we don’t offer up enough time to talk to God.

I believe that you have to work hard and stay committed with whatever you do, in

order to succeed and feel happy with yourself and your life. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Think of the good you will get out of everything you do. The music is always changing, but keep on dancing.