Allison - Countryside, Illinois

This I believe…

For me, there is something very appealing about an activity that has the capacity to clear your mind one time and the next time, it can allow you think more clearly than you have before in you entire life. Running can be whatever you make of it and whatever you need it to be. Put simply, I believe in running.

Stress is a big aspect in my life. Whether it comes from school, friends, sports, or family, stress is always present in some form. The days when everything seems to go wrong, you miss the bus, forget your homework, or just when small things continue to build up until you don’t think you can take it anymore, I come home and I just want to cry. I want to cry and not think about anything that happened. But for some reason, I don’t cry. For some reason I can’t bring myself to. That’s where the power of running takes control. I come home, throw on my running shoes and just go. I don’t want to think, so I don’t. Not thinking is something that is physically impossible for me to accomplish, but when I running, everything seems to melt away. The only thing I concentrate on is the rhythm of my feet hitting the ground and the sound of my breathing. Every other bad thought and feeling leaves, and doesn’t seem to be a part of reality.

I believe in running.

Sometimes though, I have to make decisions or I have to think about things before I act out on them. I am probably the most indecisive person because when I make decisions I don’t think about what I really want, I think about what everyone else wants or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I have no idea what I want. In these situations, I then go on a run with every thought surrounding the decision going through my head. I start and the rhythm of my body makes the cloud around my other interrupting thoughts disappear and I can focus clearly on the decision or the thought at hand. After the run I have made a decision and the tension is alleviated, making my thoughts that much clearer.

I believe in running.