Anna - Northbrook, Illinois

Everyone has their own beliefs. Some have many, and some have those little important ones that they always stand by. I believe in many things, but one particular belief I have is friendship.

Literally defined from the dictionary, the word friend means, a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard; a person who gives assistance and is a patron or supporter; a person who is not hostile; a person who is on good terms with the other. That to me defines it pretty, except for a few things. If you have ever had a friend, especially a best friend, you know that they are more then just a patron or a supporter or a person who gives assistance. They are your shoulder to lean on when you have no where else to go, they are your rock when you need someone to be tough, they are your shield and armor who protect you from the things that might hurt you, and everyone deserves someone like that.

Friendship to me is so important, especially because with out the closest friends that I have, I probably would not have gotten through some things in my past as smoothly as I could of if I was by myself. Before I transferred to Glenbrook North, freshmen and part of my sophomore year I went to Regina Dominican High School, a small, private, all girls school in Wilmette. Yes, I know, you’re probably thinking, “Wow, an all girls school? How did she do that?” Well it wasn’t the easiest thing but that wasn’t the problem. I had gotten involved with a group of people that weren’t really a great crowd and to top it off I was having some problems out side of school. I was stuck. I was getting in trouble and I felt lost because I couldn’t turn to the people at home because things weren’t doing so well there either. I was getting ready to just give up. I was always a loud, outgoing, short little Italian girl who was the life of the party, but by the end of my freshman year and beginning of my sophomore year, no one recognized me anymore. I had gotten quieter and always kept to myself about a lot of things which definitely wasn’t me because I always state my opinion. It was a drastic change. Then one night, I was just hanging out around the house when I got a phone call. It was one of my best friends who I hadn’t talked to in a few weeks since I was kind of going down hill. After I answered the phone and said “hello,” the first thing she said was, “I want you to know that if you ever need me I’m here. I want you to know that just because everyone else is looking at you differently I still see “you” and I know you need help and I’m here for you. I won’t be the one to shut you out.” I remember those words perfectly and because of her I didn’t feel alone anymore. I knew she was there for me and I knew that to me friendship was an amazing gift that can not only make someone a different person but save them.

Hopefully this story had made you understand why I believe in friendship and why friendship is such an amazing gift. A friend is someone who is always there for you no matter what. No matter how you feel, you’ll never feel alone if you have a friend.