George - Livonia, Michigan

THIS I BELIEVE – “Where Have Our Values Gone?”

“I Believe In Rediscovering Our Values”

As a young man in Junior high school, I would always ask my mother about politics, politicians and elections and she would give me the same answer almost every time, “Don’t worry about it. You are young and don’t have to worry about that now.”

As I continued dealing with politicians I started to understand that I should not listen to the rhetoric or political ads and just do my own investigating and make the best choice I could make.

I also saw first hand how we could all think we had a good person in office and were fooled at every turn. I lived in California when Ronald Reagan was Governor and a Democrat. Man were we all wrong. He was a very deceitful character and we all paid for that in California and later in the country. He had one of those attitudes, “My way or the highway.”

As we examine the current political environment, there is very little that has changed from the Nixon, Reagan era. During the past couple elections we have seen our political process receive even more fraud, intimidation, manipulation and outright scandal. While we have been occupied with other things in our lives or just complacent, this administration, the U.S. House and Senate have done everything in their power to erode, violate and tarnish our political system, U.S. Constitution, as well as our rights and dignity locally and worldwide.

Politicians in our society today should support the people of the United States and do the job they were elected to do. Anytime an elected official works less than a hundred days a year, their objective is not to represent the people that elected them, as Congress did in 2006. If you are unable to defend, represent and protect the U.S. Constitution, you need to find a new job. In the most recent months, weeks and days we have seen bribery, irresponsibility, corruption, inappropriate advances toward young U.S. House and Senate pages, partisanship and a very divided country. This must change.

Purging the fraud and failures of our political society is tough when they have the backing of big business, but we must find a way to clean house and return to the business of civil service. I am not sure why we are even putting up with this behavior from our politicians. We would never do the same with a bad employee. We have to always remember the same rules apply to public servants and workers of a business. Just do the job or you will be gone.

In this political environment you need to be aware, informed and protective of your rights. So the old advice “Don’t worry about it” no longer applies. If a Junior high school student asked the same question today like I did during the Nixon- McGovern era, I know my mother’s advice would be extremely different.